I have been working on trying new things and adding things in a way that is not in my comfort zone. This week, I checked the SimonSaysStamp challenges and had an idea for the Monday challenge of “Let’s be on Time.”
I needed a masculine birthday card, so went with a Tim Holtz stencil with clocks on it and added some clear gesso with Distress walnut ink mixed in. Added some of that to 2 backgrounds. It was a humid week in Phoenix, so it took quite a white for that to dry. Over the top, I used another Tim Holtz stencil and added some VersaMark ink through it and used some Crackling Campfire glaze. I really liked the look of that, so stamped a clock from a very old set (Stampendous?) onto some velum with VersaMark ink and added the glaze on that. Before embossing my sentiment onto the background, I added a couple of Diana Weekly Acrylic sprays in I think Night and Apricot (I didn’t have a dark orange or red one). Then embossed the sentiment, from that same stamp set using dark brown embossing powder. Added my vellum clock by putting Multi Medium Matte under the embossed areas and pressing down. Like I said, it was a very humid and rainy week in Phoenix, so it did not want to stick. The fact that my bottle of Multi Medium Matte is very old may have contributed, as well. Anyway, I think I wound up using some liquid glue under parts of it as well, to get it to adhere completely. When I had it all done, I trimmed off the overhang on the clock, then adhered the whole panel to some Gina K Coral card stock.
With the other background that I had started, I went a slightly different way. As the SimonSaysStamp Wednesday challenge was Anything Goes, I went a bit wild.
I knew I wanted to use some of the Altenew Mini Poppies I had embossed and cut out, so used a leaf stencil from Picket Fence and inked using some Distress mowed lawn and olive. I had an area that was light, so added a bit of tissue paper that I had used to clean up different water color inks and saved. Added a bit of that with some more of the clear gesso. Took quite a while for that to dry, too. Cut the sentiment, which is an MFT Die-namic out of black paper, then I smeared some Art Extravagance Phoenix Effect Paste over the top with my finger. This paste has fine glitter in it, as well as some big chunks of glitter and has a pink and orange color. You can’t see it well in the picture, but it’s fun in the light. The paste does come in different colors, this is the one I wanted and received for Christmas.
On a side note, I had planned to use some of my Opal Blaze Cosmic Shimmer polish, but was out of the right color. When I checked my others, most had dried solid. I added a few drops of distilled water to the jars and left them overnight and they were usable the next day. Not as good as when they were new, but usable.
Added my Altenew Mini Poppy flowers that I had done in red on both white card and kraft card. Added a few leaves and then went and got one of my K&Company Grand Adhesions Dimensional Stickers and added a butterfly. There wasn’t enough room left for the die cut butterfly I had planned to use.
Sometimes something will catch my eye, so I will purchase it, then don’t wind up using all of the pieces. Or, like these, they are thick, so require extra postage. As these cards are to be hand delivered, it works. I did use foam tape under the flowers to give them a bit of dimension, too.
So, neither of these cards is really in my comfort zone, but I rather like how they turned out.
Thank you for spending some of your valuable time with me today.